Wednesday, December 05, 2007

My wounded princess

by Yemaya

Once upon a time there was a little girl
born in the city of Anacaona, the Golden Flower.
This little girl was the daughter of our Taino Queen.
She knew the value of colors and nature.
She played with the rainbow and the ocean waves.
Smart, silly, funny, she was adored by her daddy.

But the world around her hated her wittiness.
When she asked about the sky and its limits,
she was sent back to her pots and pans.
When she dared to talk to the moon,
she was told to stay quiet.

Little by little, she forgot her heritage.
She unlearned the way to herself.
Every slap, every remark built a tiger coating over her silky skin.
Slowly, through the years, she became half-human, half-tiger.
She became more and more soundless.
She retired into her cage, pretending to sleep.
The only sounds she knew were her fury.
When faced with the daylight, she would scream to her villain.

But sometimes, only sometimes,
she would slowly stretch a paw to the outside world.
Suddenly, she would be taken by the Dancing Spirit.
Inviting all to join in this ceremony.
It won't be for long.
Do not stare at her or else.
Do not hug her or else.
Standing on all four, she will remind you:
"I am from the cave. I belong to a rocky shelter.
I have dominion over my solitary queendom.
Nobody can join me there."

My wounded princess, I do not want to join you there.
But I am outside of the cage,
holding your crown and waiting for your glorious day to come.

12/05/2007

No comments: